Sunday, April 26, 2009

What is the name of the tree


I found this tree at the back lane of Macalister Road. I do not know the name of the tree. I may have seen it before, but this is the time I looked at it closely.

The fruit is green when unripe, but turn to red color like apple; it look like berry when ripe, it is soft, and with many seeds.

The interesting thing is that the fruits only grow from the tree trunk. Clearly separated from the tree branches with leaves.

It was reported that bats,birds and ants like the fruits; it attracts many of the natural visitors. When I visited the tree,it is full of the red ants at the base ground of the tree,where the fallen fruits are everywhere.

Can anyone tell me, what is the name of the tree?



1 comment:

  1. Hi Raymond,
    I believe the tree is a variant of the common fig. The common name is Cluster Fig. Tree species is Ficus Racemosa. Tree is native to the Indian sub-continent, South East Asia and tropical Australia.

    ReplyDelete