Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Taiping Old Town

View Larger Map

Jalan Iskandar,Taiping
Jalan Iskandar,Taiping is located between Jalan Pasar(formerly Market Street)to Jalan Panggung Wayang(Theatre Road),just near the Methodist Church. The road is intersected by Jalan Kota(Kota Road)

1. Jalan Iskandar - may be named after Sultan Mahmud Iskandar Shah(1653-1720), 11th Sultan Perak.
2. Jalan Pasar(Market Road) - Named after the two main market in Taiping town, which at located at the Market Square.
3. Jalan Panggung Wayang(Theatre Road)- Named after a theatre which was located at the road. During the 60s and 70s,this area was known as Black area,where secret societies and gangsters hanging around here.
4. Jalan Kota - The road was built in colonial time, it still retained its original name. One of the two busiest road in Taiping. It links to North-South Highway.

The background is Maxwell Hill, and the cloud clearly seen

The left view of Jalan Panggung Wayang, from the hawker complex

The birds are having resting time in the town of everlasting peace

Look at the birds resting at the telephone wire, a usual sight of the town.

Taiping is a rain town, the sky is dark now. The colonial shop and the dark cloud , an interesting sight for Taiping

Tai Aun coffee shop and hotel, at the T junction

The row of shops at Jalan Iskandar, from Jalan Kota juction

The row of colonial shop houses, leading to taxi stand

The back lane, called "lorong" in Malay

The view of Jalan Kota from the Jalan Iskandar/Jalan Kota junction

The road sign at the corner

Gold Lion stone carving on the pillar of the shop

Beautiful and colourful tiles with design of peacock

Tai Onn lodging house(small hotel) with coffee shop at the ground floor.Literally Tai Onn means big peace in Chinese language.

One of the beautiful and colourful floral tiles

The side view

The rear view

The upper floor at the back of the building

Another front view

The front view of the building. It was constructed in 1930.

The upper floor with the unique window design

The other end lot of the row of shop houses with similar design

The middle of the shop row, just opposite taxi stand. The corner shop is a Toto betting shop.I wonder if it accept the betting on the timing of the rain fall?

The row of shop houses lead to the junction of Jalan Panggung Wayang,just opposite Methodist church(white building at the background on the left). The end lot is a coffee shop cum hotel, with the name Kedai Kopi dan Rumah Tumpangan Peace(Chinese hoe-peng, which literally mean peace).Beside the coffee shop is Perniagaan Lee, a female fashion shop.

Taiping Market Square( Two markets located here)

It is a square between Jalan Taming Sari(Main Road), Jalan Chung Thye Phin, Halaman Pasar, and Jalan Panggung Wayang. The market square is intersected by Jalan Kota.

The first market is within Jalan Taming Sari and Jalan Kota, and the second market is between Jalan Kota and Jalan Pnggung Wayang.

The Taiping Market, which consists of two buildings. The old market built in 1884, and the new market built in 1885. Each one is a timber post and truss structure, concrete floor and iron roof. It is 220 feet long and 60 feet wide.
- Best preserved major 19th century market buildings
- largest non-indigenous timber structure in the country

1. Jalan Taming Sari, was formerly called Main Road. It was the road from the colonial time.One of the two most busiest roads in Taiping, most VIPs will usually travel along the road, and is the most well maintained road compared to other roads in Taiping town.
Main Road is renamed after the famous keris taming sari, reported to be owned by legendary Malay warrior, Hang Tuah. The keris now is reported to be part of the royal regalia of sultan of Perak state, Malaysia. But some historian said the real keris taming sari is still missing.

2. Jalan Chung Thye Phin is named after Kapitan China Chung Thye Phin, formerly Cross Street NO.8.

Chung Thye Phin
Kapitan Chung Thye Phin (Chinese: 鄭大平), MSC, JP (1879 - 1935) was a wealthy Malayan tin miner of Hakka ancestry who was raised on the island of Penang in the state of the same name in Malaysia, known at that time as British Malaya. He was a member of the Perak Advisory Board and the last Kapitan China of Perak and Malaya.

Kapitan Chung Thye Phin (Zheng Daping 鄭大平) was born on 28 Sep 1879 in Kota, Taiping, Perak, Malaya. He is the son of Kapitan China Chung Keng Quee(鄭景貴),who was the leader of Hai San in the Larut War. He received his education at the St. Xavier's, Penang. Upon leaving school, he was initiated into his father's business.
(source: extract from wikipedia)

Row of shops at Jalan Taming Sari(Main Road)

The rain is coming....

The corner of Jalan Pasar and Halaman Pasar

Old shops at Halaman Pasar

The side entrance of the market at Halaman Pasar

The Jalan Pasar or Market Street junction

The right row of shop houses at Jalan Chung Thye Phin. Jalan Taming Sari is at the back

Another view of the shops at Jalan Chung Thye Phin

The left side of the market

The right side of the market

The interior view of the market

The Taiping Market, which consists of two buildings. The old market built in 1884, and the new market built in 1885. Each one is a timber post and truss structure, concrete floor and iron roof. It is 220 feet long and 60 feet wide.
It is located at Jalan Taming Sari/Jalan Chung Thye Pin

The road sign with the name of famous historical personality

The side front view of the shop at Jalan Taming Sari

The side rear view of the shop at Jalan Taming Sari(Main Road)

A shop at the corner of Jalan Chung Thye Phin/Jalan Taming Sari

The frontage of the shop

Look from the market, but road not known

Old colonial building , look like abandoned building at the entrance of the Taiping town, Jalan Kota.

No comments:

Post a Comment