Chinese education was only introduced to
Cheong Fatt Tze (张弼士Chang Bishi), a wealthy businessman, was worried that new generations of Chinese might eventually forget their mother tongue and their own culture. He saw education as a means to bring the Chinese into the 20th century. He, therefore, donated funds to build Chung Hwa School (1904) in Penang and
Cheong founded Chung Hwa School on 15th of May 1904 at “Ping Zhang Hui Guan”,
Initially, the school had only an enrollment of 160 students and 8 teachers, classes were only conducted for primary level. The administration of the school came under the patronage of the school's board of governors. The school was originally located at the rented premises at the present day site of the
The school building was designed in 1907 by H.A. Neubronner, the same architect who designed the HongKong and Shanghai Bank building (was destroyed in second world war) and RBS Gallery(the USM-ABN-AMRO Arts and Cultural Centre).
In 1912, the Republican overthrew the Qing dynasty government and took over the administration of
In 1924, the school opened its first lower secondary classes, the enrolment increased to 900 pupils. The school progressed and prospered until the period of Japanese occupation, fortunately the school premises survived from the destruction of the second world war.
A year after independence was declared in Malaya,
In 1972, the secondary was moved to its current school premises in
The school premises at
On 15th of May 2004, the school celebrated centennial with grand dinner at
| Qing Dynasty
|1. Tan Kim Hong, "The Chinese In Penang, A Pictorial History"|
|2. Chung Hwa Confucian Schools, "Chung Hwa Confucian Schools Centennial Celebration Souvenir Magazine".|
|3. Khoo Salma Nasution & Malcolm Wade, "Penang Postcard Collection 1899-1930s".|
(credited to www.geocities.com/chunghwa1904, with the consent from the author, this article may be copy right)