1. City Parishes: Church of Our Lady of Sorrows(1888,Macalister Road), Church of The Assumption(1786, Farquhar Street), Church of St Francis Xavier(1957, Penang Road), Church of St John Britto(1969, Sungei Pinang Road)
2. Church of the Immaculate Coneption, Pulau Tikus, 1819
3. Risen Christ Church, Air Itam, 1968
4. Cathedral of the Holy Spirit, Green Lane, 1968
5. Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary,Butterworth, 1935
6. Church of St Anne,Bukit Mertajam, 1846
7. Church of the Holy Name of Mary, Simpang Ampat, Permatang Tinggi,1893 and
8. Church of the Holy Name of Jesus, Balik Pulau, 1848
The earliest was Church of The Assumption, which was found in 1786, the year Capt Francis Light found George Town. Balik Pulau Catholic Church or Church of the Holy Name of Jesus was found in 1848(as reported in the website of diocese),with 161 years history. The building was however completed in 1854( as seen in the church building). The beginning of the church can traced even earlier to 1845, when the first parish priest Reverent Father Ducotey start the first Eucharist service in an attap hut.
History of Catholic in Penang
Francis Light gave the Catholics a piece of land bounded today by
of ‘Bishop of
The Catholic Community in
The beginning of the church can traced even earlier to 1845, when the first parish priest Reverent Father Ducotey start the first Eucharist service in an attap hut. In 1897, Balik Pulau had approx 250-300 catholic converts. Some of these converts were the followers of Taiping Rebellion in China, after the collapse of Heavenly Kingdom in 1864, the followers and the armies escaped from China. Some of them landed in Balik Pulau. In 1909, SJKC Sacred Heart was opened at main street .
The St George English School was opened at Balik Pulau in 1920(now SK St George Balik Pulau). In 1950, SMK Sacred Heart was opened, and 1953, SMK St George was opened.